At Disney World and Disney Land, literally everything has been thought of. The “imagineers” have been tasked with creating a perfect little world for everyone who visits, and they actually gave a lot more thought to the food served there than you might realize. Hundreds of thousands of visitors flock to the two resorts every year, spending millions of dollars on admission, merchandise, and food. It’s really stunning how much thought went into every little detail, right down to the subliminal.
There are so many little facts and secrets about the Parks, but these are simply ten that I feel are particularly interesting, weird or just plain cool.
- For example, did you know that we tend to walk to the right side of the street, so Main Street USA is designed with all the food shops on the right for those wanting breakfast as they enter, and with all the souvenir shops on guests’ right as they leave?
- There are more than 350 chefs on staff at Walt Disney World Resort.
- The Land Pavilion at Epcot grows more than 30 tons of fruit and vegetables annually, and it’s all served at Disney World restaurants.
- Coke Corner on Main Street USA in Disneyland sells enough hot dogs to circle the park 36 times every year.
- Disney chefs use about 90 different varieties of cheese in their cooking.
- Food waste is a major issue at Disney World, with more than 700,000 pounds potentially going to waste every year. Thankfully, none of it does: it’s donated through the Disney Harvest program to feed the homeless of Central Florida.
- 2 million Bags of popcorn are served each year at Walt Disney World. That’s almost 345,000 pounds. I don’t know whether this fact is incredibly interesting or incredibly disturbing. Rumour has it that this would be enough popcorn to fill Space Mountain from floor to ceiling.
- There are more than 475 places to dine across Walt Disney World Resort including full-service and quick-service restaurants and portable food carts. In all, more than 6,000 different food items are available.
- 63,000 Cobb salads are tossed every year at the Hollywood Brown Derby at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The original recipe for the dressing, created in 1926, still tops the salads.
- More than 1.2 million lbs of turkey drumsticks are consumed every year in the 4 Walt Disney theme parks.
- 10,000 dessert soufflés a year come out of the oven at Victoria & Albert’s at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.
- More than 3.3 million chocolate covered Mickey Mouse ice cream bars are sold every year at Walt Disney World Resort.