Being that it is March Break here in Ontario, Canada, I decided to make my wife a wonderful dinner as she is a University Professor and has to work.
I Roasted Red Peppers (we have a gas range) and sauteed Spinach with fresh garlic. I then butterflied a Beef Tenderloin and stuffed it with the Roasted Red Pepper and the Spinach. Searing the Tenderloin, I finished it off in the oven. I also blanched then sauteed Asparagus Tips in vegetable oil and butter…seasoning with only salt and pepper.
I sauteed sliced Cremini Mushrooms in vegetable oil and splashed it with Red Wine. I then added beef stock and thickened it with a roux (equal parts flour/oil).
I then made a Crab Risotto, using fresh cooked Crab meat and Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese, freshly grated.
My wife loved it, and my 4 year old son ate 4 helpings of the risotto!
Here is my Crab Risotto recipe:
• 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
• ½ cup finely chopped onion
• 4 cups chicken broth (heated)
• 1 1/2 cups fresh parmigiano reggiano cheese (grated)
• 2 Tbsp. cold butter pads
• 1 cup shelled cooked crab meat
1. In a 3-4-quart pan over medium/high heat, sauté Arborio rice in the vegetable oil coating all the rice, approximately 3 minutes.
2. Add onion and stir until rice is opaque and onions are limp, about 5 minutes.
3. Add white wine and continue to cook until wine is absorbed, stirring constantly.
4. Add the heated chicken broth (one ladle or enough to cover the Arborio rice) cooking until the broth is absorbed, stirring constantly.
5. Once the liquid is almost completely absorbed, add another ladle and repeat. (This will produce a risotto which is cooked al dente. If you prefer a softer texture, add one addition cup of chicken broth and cook until absorbed, stirring constantly.)
6. Total cooking time is approximately 25 minutes.
7. Take off heat and gently add the cold butter, Parmesan cheese, and crab.
8. Let stand 5 minutes and serve.